Monday, January 9, 2012

Getting Ready for MLK Jr. Day

Here are two quick ideas (and freebies) to use with your students on MLK Jr. Day:

The first is an experiment I named "A tale of two eggs" You use two eggs: one brown and one white. You have your students discuss how they are different on the outside and then guess what they will look like on the inside. Then you crack them both open and let the students observe and discuss. They should come to the conclusion they even though the eggs look very different on the outside, they are exactly the same on the inside. You can then use this as an analogy and talk about how people are just like eggs. Even though we are all different on the outside, we are all the same on the inside. Here's a free file that includes a description of the experiment, a picture, chart labels and a worksheet for students to complete (click on the pic to grab it!):


The second is this adorable project I found on pinterest.
Pinned Image
You fold over a yellow sheet of construction paper so the two edges touch in the middle and then stamp the kids hands in two colors and have them write "My Dream" or "I have a Dream." Here is a free writing paper to use on the inside (click on the pic to grab it!):
click on the picture to go to the freebie!

Hope you enjoy these two ideas! 

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Another kindergarten blog! I'll ad your button to my kindergarten list!! :)

    Little Miss Glamour Goes to Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I'm your newest follower :)

    Color Me Kinder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachelle,

    Hi!

    Looking for the "Tale of Two Eggs" printable and direction sheet but can't locate it. Can you send me a link? I've looked in your TPTs store too. It's something that students can really relate to and I'd like to use it this year. Thanks for the help.

    Carol T.

    ReplyDelete